Last updated: May 25, 2018
We are committed to protecting your privacy and the security of your Personally Identifiable Information (PII). PII is information that can be used to identify you personally online. Examples of PII are your full name and your email address.
We collect information that is necessary in creating an account and using our services, and you can modify that information in our database at anytime. See our Terms of Service for instructions if you would like to have your PII removed from our database.
We never sell your information to third parties or use third party services to show you ads on our website.
When you create a Hoffman Academy account, we collect your first name and your email address.
We use this information in two ways:
To set up your Hoffman Academy account:
Your Hoffman Academy account creation requires personal information. The information is used to uniquely identify you at log in so you can access your lesson progress and purchases.
To send you emails:
If you decide you no longer want to receive emails from Hoffman Academy, you can have them stopped at any time. See our Terms of Service for instructions on how to be removed from our mailing lists.
All information you enter on our website is safely encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL). Only our administrators have access to the PII we collect.
The PII We Collect and Where It’s Stored
- Mailchimp – on MC servers. Email, name, number of students, subscription status, usage statistics, and email preferences. Relevant use: To enable us to send relevant emails to our users.
- Mandrill – on Mandrill servers. Name, email. Relevant use: To enable us to send transactional emails (gift codes and payment reminders).
- AWS RDS – Amazon Relational Database service – on AWS RDS hardware. Relevant use: To store user account data and usage statistics.
- Stripe – on Stripe servers. Email, payment information (name, credit card number), first name of each student on Premium accounts. Relevant use: Stripe is our payment processor.
- PayPal – on PayPal servers. Email address, name, mailing address, credit card number. Relevant use: PayPal is our payment processor.
- Hoffman Academy Logging Server – stores site usage information. Email address, IP address, first name of each student. Relevant use: performance optimization, error analysis, site usage.
- Hoffman Academy support email (from contact form) – browser user agent string, IP address, subscription status. Relevant use: To help expedite customer service requests.
- Amazon SMS – stored on Amazon servers. Name, email address. Relevant use: To send transactional emails.
- Amazon web services – stored on Amazon hardware. Logs IP address, page requests. Relevant use: To help us understand site usage
- Ipdata.co – We send IP addresses to Ipdata.co to look up location to provide compliant cookie consent. Relevant use: Compliance with cookie consent laws.
See our Terms of Service for more on Hoffman Academy accounts.
Cookies allow us to respond to you as an individual and they enable us to remember you each time you visit our site. Cookies make it possible for your login to be remembered (that way you don’t have to enter the information upon each visit to our site).
We use Google Analytics to collect information to tell us about your interaction with HoffmanAcademy.com. The information includes your country of residence, language, and the kind of browser and device you’re using. Additionally, Google Analytics shows us how you spend your time on HoffmanAcademy.com.
When you make a purchase on our website, you have the choice of making a secure payment via payment processor Stripe or through PayPal. These third party services handle your financial information in the most secure way possible. Hoffman Academy does not collect or store your payment information. More information on Stripe payments can be found here. More information on PayPal payments can be found here.
Hoffman Academy Website/Blog and WordPress
Third Party Links
We occasionally post links to third party products or services on our website or blog. For example, we link to relevant products on amazon.com. These third parties have independent privacy policies that do not fall under Hoffman Academy’s responsibility. If you have comments or concerns about our third party links, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
Hoffman Academy strives to be fully compliant with COPPA regulations.
We do not knowingly collect any PII from any individual under the age of 13. All visitors, including children under the age of 13, are able to visit our website and access our video lessons, blog, and music learning materials a guest. If you believe your child has shared any PII with us without your consent, please notify us and we’ll promptly remove it from our database.
Fair Information Practices
We are committed to keeping your PII as secure as possible. Should a data breach occur, we will notify you by email and by posting a notice on our website within 72 hours of discovery of the breach.
12660 NW Cornell Rd
Portland, OR 97229
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Site or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Site more useful to you.
Cookies can be “persistent” or “session” cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your personal computer or mobile device when you go offline, while session cookies are deleted as soon as you close your web browser.
When you use and access the Site, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.
- To enable certain functions of the Site
- To provide analytics
- To store your preferences
We use both session and persistent cookies on the Site and we use different types of cookies to run the Site:
- Accounts-related cookies. We may use accounts-related cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. We may use these cookies to remember information that changes the way the Site behaves or looks, such as the “remember me” functionality.
- Analytics cookies. We may use analytics cookies to track information how the Site is used so that we can make improvements. We may also use analytics cookies to test new advertisements, pages, features or new functionality of the Site to see how our users react to them.
Third Party Cookies
In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-party cookies to report usage statistics of the Service. We do not control the operation of third-party cookies.
Third-party cookies which may be set on the Site include:
We use Unbounce to create some of the pages on our site. Unbounce writes cookies to track usage, store user preferences, improve conversions, and provide us with analytics to improve the performance of our pages.
Your Cookie Choices
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly. Note: If you are a Premium user, disabling all cookies will prevent you from accessing any Premium materials on our site.
- For the Chrome web browser, please visit this page from Google: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050
- For the Internet Explorer web browser, please visit this page from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835
- For the Firefox web browser, please visit this page from Mozilla: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored
- For the Safari web browser, please visit this page from Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?locale=en_US
- For any other web browser, please visit your web browser’s official web pages.
You can learn more about cookies at the following third-party websites: