The Complete Materials for Unit 1 will help students build a solid foundation for excellent music reading skills and a solid knowledge of music theory. All 41 pages of worksheets and song sheets were designed by Joseph Hoffman to reinforce, expand, and deepen the learning in each video lesson.
The Piano Listening CD is another important part of the learning process, and is something that Mr. Hoffman asks his students to listen to every day. This album features fun and beautiful settings of all the songs students will learn at Hoffman Academy. By listening often to this album, students become thoroughly familiar with the music, enabling the lessons to progress at a faster, more confident pace.
The Practice CD features fun accompaniment tracks to play along with as you practice. A great way to develop rhythmic ability, while also learning to improvise! With styles ranging from rock to jazz to reggae to folk, these accompaniments will make each practice session a fulfilling musical experience.
The Parent’s Guide will provide you with instructions for making piano practice time effective and successful. Excellent progress on the piano requires daily practice. However, children usually need guidance from a parent to get the most out of their practice time. The Parent’s Guide will give you the information you need to become a successful Practice Partner and Coach to your child as they begin their journey into piano playing.
PDF Materials Include (41 pages):
- Hot Cross Buns Activity Pages (3 pages)
- Musical Alphabet Snake Activity Pages (3 pages)
- Musical Alphabet Card Game
- Engine, Engine Songsheet and Practice Instructions
- CDE Funsheet
- Black Key Funsheet
- Black Key Smashes Practice Instructions (2 pages)
- FG Funsheet
- 5 Woodpeckers Songsheet, Practice Tips and Super Challenges
- Heartbeat Mat for Rhythm Dictation (2 pages)
- Quarter Note Cards
- Eighth Note Cards
- Quarter Rest Cards
- Hot Cross Buns Rhythm Dictation
- Stepping Up & Down the Black Keys Practice Instructions
- Frog in the Middle Songsheet with Practice Tips and Super Challenges
- Backward Musical Alphabet Snake Activity Pages (3 pages)
- Rhythm Composition
- Hand Over Hand Pentascale Practice Instructions (2 pages)
- Frog in the Middle Rhythm Dictation Funsheet
- Chocolate Funsheet
- Finger Numbers Funsheets (3 pages)
- Hand Over Hand Arpeggios Practice Instructions (2 pages)
- Finding A & B Funsheets
- Missing Letters! Funsheet
- Solfa & D Pentascale Funsheets
- Listen for Bells Songsheet
- Adding Chords to Frog in the Middle Practice Instructions
Additional Learning Benefits of the Practice CD
Students can get a lot of value from reviewing old songs every day. It helps build confidence, musical memory, and agility. However, sometimes students can get bored of doing the same songs again and again, and it’s easy to start sounding sloppy with too many repetitions. This common problem can be easily solved with the Practice CD! Having a track to play along with encourages students to always keep a steady beat, and to play with precise rhythms. It will also help develop musical phrasing and expression.
Another benefit of the Practice CD is that is provides frequent opportunity for a student to improvise, in other words, learning to make up your own melodies, spontaneously, on the spot. Using the Practice CD, students will get to explore the creative side of music making. For example, with the Chocolate in C track, the student first plays Chocolate in its original form 2x, then the student has 8 measures to improvise. Then, on cue, the student plays Chocolate 2 more times. Frequent practice with improvisation helps students to realize that music is a creative form of expression that they can engage in at any age and any level. Plus it’s a lot of fun!