Discover an array of intermediate piano sheet music from the Hoffman Academy Store
Are you or a family member an intermediate level pianist looking for a new piece to play? We at Hoffman Academy have many recommendations for free sheet music along with some premium options available in our online store! Discover intermediate piano sheet music in the store now!
What level is an intermediate piano player?
An intermediate pianist is someone who:
- has completed the beginning levels of learning the piano
- is able to sight read simple melodies
- can use their ear to figure out simple melodies
- can play with chords like I, V7, and IV
- has mastered all major and minor pentascales and can play using several different keys
- can play with both hands simultaneously
Using Hoffman Academy units as a guide, an intermediate student would typically be a student who is in Unit 12 through Unit 18.
What are intermediate piano pieces?
Intermediate piano pieces require a certain amount of internalized musical knowledge and a proficient command of the instrument in order to perform at a high quality. These skills and knowledge are learned and perfected in the early (beginner) units of the Hoffman Academy curriculum. These are Units 1-11.
In intermediate piano pieces, you will recognize scales, chords, and other finger exercises that you learned in the early units. You will notice many different keys that you learned to play in as well. At first, these pieces may seem challenging, but don’t worry. The knowledge that you gained in the first eleven units will prepare you to learn these more challenging pieces. With practice, you will be able to perform them just like any other music you’ve already learned.
Where can a piano player get intermediate piano sheet music?
Some pieces on the Hoffman Academy website are free to all members. Many additional downloads are included with premium membership, so if you are a premium member of Hoffman Academy, you can download these pieces for free as well! If you are not a premium member and would still like to purchase one or more of these pieces, they are available for a small fee.
Whether you are purchasing sheet music or looking for free sheet music there are lots of options. One option is to use the Hoffman Academy Store! On our store’s website, we offer intermediate level pieces such as the famous “Für Elise”, “Autumn Moon”, and an intermediate version of “Clair de lune”. Read on to see a list of intermediate level sheet music available on the Hoffman Academy website!
If you’d rather purchase a book that includes intermediate level pieces, check out Unit books 12-18. These books don’t just come with intermediate level piano pieces, but also come with exercises and learning materials so that you can continue expanding your skills as a pianist!
More options for intermediate sheet music
If you are looking for options that are not available on the Hoffman Academy store, you can also find free sheet music on IMSLP (International Music Score Library Project) as long as the music is under public domain. Public domain is when music isn’t under copyright protection. If a piece is under copyright protection, it’s very important to pay for that music in a way that supports the original creators. If the piece is in the public domain, it’s okay to download it for free.
Examples of classical piano sheet music for intermediate players
Below is a list of music that you can find on the Hoffman Academy store website. Before you download them, listen to the recordings below to get an idea of what they sound like!
- Autumn Moon – Joseph Hoffman
- Clair de lune (intermediate version) – Claude Debussy, arr. Stephanie Kitson
- Flying Fingers Etude – Emil Horneman, arr. Alex Isackson
- 6 Romanian Folk Dances – Béla Bartók
- 4 Easy Sonatinas – Thomas Atwood
- 6 Sonatinas – Muzio Clementi
- Ballade – Friedrich Burgmüller
- 15 Two-Part Inventions – J.S. Bach
- Bell Choir from The Magic Flute – W.A. Mozart
- Danny Boy (Irish folk song – intermediate lead sheet)
- Etude in C Major – Stephen Heller
- Etude in C Major – Jean-Henri Ravina
- Etude in D Major – Félix Le Couppey
- Etude in G Minor – Stephen Heller
- Für Elise (full version) – Ludwig van Beethoven
- Für Elise (short version) – Ludwig van Beethoven
- Hallelujah from The Messiah – G.F. Händel, arr. Aron Bernstein
- In the Garden, Cornelius Gurlitt
- Inquietude – Friedrich Burgmüller
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring – J.S. Bach, arr. Aron Bernstein
- Knight Rupert – Robert Schumann
- Minuet in G Major – Christian Petzold (once attributed to J.S. Bach)
- Moonlight Sonata (early intermediate version) – Ludwig van Beethoven, arr. Stephanie Kitson/Joseph Hoffman
- Moonlight Sonata, 1st Movement (late intermediate version) – Ludwig van Beethoven
- Murmurs of the Brook – Marie Jaëll
- Nocturne in E-flat major – Frederic Chopin
- Prelude in C Minor – J.S. Bach
- Prelude in C Major – J.S. Bach
Now that you have a list of options for intermediate piano pieces that you can learn, we at Hoffman Academy wish you many enjoyable hours of music making as you choose and perfect your favorite pieces. Have a wonderful day and happy playing!